I grow up eating rice and was never a good bread eater until much later in life. Being married to a man of Northern Indian Origin, I picked up a thing or two about bread and wheat flour along the line and started playing around with flour a lot more in recent years.
I had full intention to feed and raise baby A as rice eater, his first cereal was RICE cereal, and I feed everything to him with rice porridge. To my dismayed, he slowly grow up to love more of everything made from wheat, pasta, dumplings, noodles, you name it and he likes it!
For I am a mother who doesn't know how to deal with a very adamant toddler, I have now resolved to work on baby A's taste bud, as long as he eats Chinese food, be it wheat or rice! LOL
So long story short, I made this raised pancake for lunch on this rainy afternoon, 3 of us shared two 8 inches pancake with some lentil soup. It was yummy and everybody is happy!
2 cup All Purpose Flour（I used 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup multigrain flour）
3/4 cup warm water（microwave room temperature water for 30 seconds is good enough）
1 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Baking powder
8 gm or 1 packet of Active dry Yeast
1 bowl of chopped spring onion
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
1 tbsp Black or white sesame （I mixed both）
3-4 tbsp cooking oil
1. Knead together all ingredients listed under dough to form a soft dough.Cover with lid or clean cloth. Let it raise to double its original size.
2. Roll the dough out to form a 2-3 mm thick rectangle,spread sesame oil, pepper powder, salt and chopped spring onion evenly.
3. Slowly roll it down from top to form a somewhat tight long stick. Cut it into half, and roll it up to form a round disk. Gently flatten it out with a rolling pin to form a round shape around 8 inches in diameter .
4. Sprinkle the sesame and press it in lightly.
5. Spread 1.5-2 tbsp of cooking oil over an 8 inches cooking pan, DO NOT preheat the pan, place the rolled out pancake in the pan, I made mine both at the same time and placed them in two separate pans.
6. Now leave the pancakes in the pans under room temperature for 10-15 minutes to raise the second time, this step is crucial to get a soft inner part of the pancake.
7. Place the pans on stove after second raised. Cover with lid, cook on medium high for 6-7 minutes, when the edge shows slight golden in color, flip the pancake and cook without lid for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown in color.
8. Let it cooled a little before cutting and serve!
中文 -- 黄金葱油饼