This tofu used to be something we ordered in the restaurant back home, I have not come to think about making it at home until last couple of weeks, when I saw some of my cooking mate posted their pictures on Facebook.
I didn't follow the recipes posted as I was a little lazy to go shopping for some of the ingredients (I was even out of soy sauce at that time!!). I tweak my version with whatever I have at home, it came out great and a perfect balance of crunchiness at the outside and softness inside.
This will be a good starter for party and/or a good snack over cold afternoon.
300 gm of Egg Tofu/ Tamagudofu/ Japanese Tofu
200 gm of Soft or 150 gm silken tofu
200 gm of fish paste or mixture of fish and prawn/shrimp paste (I made my own paste using Tilapia fillet)
1 cup of chopped Cilantro
1 cup of minced carrot
2 tbsp tapioca/ corn starch
1 tbsp all purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce/Nam pla
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp Oyster Sauce
A pinch of black pepper sauce
2 tbsp rice flour
2 tbsp corn starch
2 cup of oil for frying
1. Mashed together egg and silken tofu, add fish paste, chopped cilantro, minced carrot and all seasoning listed, use a spatula to mix and blend the ingredients well.
2. Lay a piece of parchment paper over 8x8 inches baking pan, pour the mixture in the pan and even out the top using a silicon spatula.
3. Heat up oven to 350 F (180 C) and bake the tofu for 30 minutes. (You can also steam the tofu in a steamer for 15 minutes.)
4. Let the tofu cool and chill it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, this is to let the tofu solidify to aid slicing later.
5. Cut the tofu into 2 inches in length and 1 inch in width.
6. In a narrow plate, blend together rice flour and corn starch. Meanwhile, heat up 2 cups of cooking oil in a wok or deep cooking pot.
7. Dredge tofu with rice flour and Corn starch mixture, deep fry the tofu until golden in color, drain and dig in!
Serve with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce and some mayonnaise.