This type of cured meat is unique comparing with its peers, it uses a lot of spices in its marination, it is starting by soaking the spices in Chinese spirit for days before applying to the meat, this unique method will blend and bring the aroma of spices out and gives the cured meat a very distinct and pleasant flavor.
The way of making is pretty similar to the other Chinese cured meat, it is marinated with seasoning for days and then left hung out to air dry in a dry cool place until cured for approximately 14-24 days depending on the weather.
Beside the flavor, the other difference between the cantonese waxed meat and this Hakka waxed meat is that this meat will be smoked once it is cured to give more flavor to the meat.
5 lbs/2250 g Pork Belly
100 g/ml Chinese White Spirit
80 g/ml Chinese Rose Wine
8 g/ 6 Star Anise
20 g Fennel seeds
3 sticks of 2 inches long Cinnamon sticks
5 g of Cloves
10 g of Chinese Five Spice
80 g Salt
5 lbs/2250 克 五花肉
100 克 白酒
80 克 玫瑰露酒
8 克/六只 八角
20 克 小茴香
3 根 肉桂
5 克 丁香
80 克 食盐
2. Once the spices are soaked, clean and dry the pork belly with kitchen towel, use a thick needle with cotton string to push through the stronger end of the pork belly to make a loop to aid suspension, you can also use metal hooks for this purpose.
3. Place the pork belly in a large mixing bowl, pour the spices infused wine together with whole spices over the meat, add salt and Chinese five spice powder, mix well to make sure all the meat covered with spices and place the pork belly a deep container with cover.
4. Place the pork belly in a cool, dry place like a cellar, or the fridge. Turn the pork belly every 24 hours, marinate the meat for 5-7 days.
5. Hang the pork belly strips to dry in a well ventilated place. Bring the strips back at night and keep at somewhere cool like a pantry, bring the meat out in a place with some winter sunshine once every two days, sunbathing the meat will give a glow to the meat.
6. You’ll notice the meat and skin get darker in about 7-8 days, continue to air dry the meat until dehydrated and loses about 30 percent of its original weight depending on the weather and humidity level, it could range from 14-20 days, mine took around 18 days.
Note: you can test the readiness of meat by pressing on the meat, if it is somewhat tight and feel waxy, it is ready.
1. 把白酒和玫瑰酒称量好，倒到一个宽口的玻璃瓶里, 把香料都加入酒里泡三天（五香粉先别加）。
7. The meat is ready for smoking once it is dry enough. I smoke mine in an old wok, you can use a smoker if you have one.
8. Place a sheet of foil paper in the wok, add 1/3 cup of rice/glutinous rice,1/3 cup of Chinese green tea leaves, 3 tbsp of sugar, 2-3 cloves of garlic (Optional), and tangerine/orange peels from 2 oranges/tangerines. Combine and spread out evenly.
9. Place a round baking/cooking rack over the mixture and lay the cured meat over the rack, cover with lid and turn the stove to high, when smoke starting to show from the seam between wok and lid, turn the heat to medium low/low and smoke/cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The smoked meat looks more transparent and waxy once done.
Store the smoked, cured meat in cool, dry place.