There are many types of curries in Malaysia, this Rendang Curry chicken is the signature "Dried" curry, the gravy of curry was simmered down to mere minimum, the tasty and creamy gravy coats each and every piece of the meat and gives a thick flavorful taste to the curry.
1 whole Chicken (around 2.5 lb）
250 gm Shredded coconut
15 gm Galangal
1 stalk Lemon Grass
4 tbsp Meat Curry powder
To grind into paste：
12 Dried Chilies
8 Candle nuts
5 cloves Garlic
1. Add the shredded coconut into a food processor and add half a cup of water, turn the food professor on for like 10 seconds, pour the mixture onto a clean cheese cloth, wrapped it around and squeeze out the thick coconut milk. Keep it aside.
2. Place the shredded coconut back into the food processor, this time add two cups of water and run processor for 30 second, do the same by squeezing out thin coconut milk using cheese cloth.
3. Grind together dried chilies, candle nuts, garlic and shallot.
4. Toast about 1/2 cup of shredded coconut on a frying pan until golden brown in color, let it cooled and grind it in a coffee grinder to become powder.
5. Bruise the lemongrass and galangal, set aside. Cut chicken into big pieces about 1/2 the palm size, marinate with meat curry powder for at least 30 minutes.
6. Place thick coconut milk in a cooking pan/wok, bring to boil until oil start separated at the edge, Place the grounded paste in the pan with lemon grass and galangal. Bring to boil again for about 5 minutes.
7. Now add the marinated chicken, cook the chicken for about 5 minutes, till it change colour, pour in the thin coconut milk, bring to boil and turn the heat to medium and cook for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours without lid till the chicken become tender, season with salt and sugar, add toasted coconut powder (Kerisik) and continue cooking until the gravy thicken.
It goes perfectly well with Nasi Lemak