I can't begin to tell how satay has been severely altered in many of the so-called Malaysian restaurants here in USA. Oh well, maybe I didn't go to the right restaurant.
It is like a routine every year, especially in summer, I will received several requests asking for a authentic recipe for a Malaysian style satay, or skewer.
I have been thinking to wait for my deck to get done and I will buy a charcoal grill to make this skewer, but then the project got delayed for a year. So no out door grill for now.
I made this batch of satay using my table top oven, it turned out great and exactly the taste I remembered!
Ingredients: (make around 20-25 skewers)
500 gm Chicken thigh with skin on
20-25 bamboo skewer (soak in water for 15-20 minutes)
1 inch (about thumb size) of fresh turmeric or substitute with 2 tsp of turmeric powder
1 inch (about thumb size) of galangal
1 inch (about thumb size) of ginger root
1 stalk of lemongrass (use only the white part)
4-5 shallots or 1 medium size of onion
2 tbsp of sugar (more if you prefer your satay to be at the sweeter side)
2 tsp of coriander powder
1 tsp of fennel seeds
1/4 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of oil
1. Cut chicken meat into small bite size cubes. Dry roast fennel seeds in a pan for couple of minutes until fragrant, grind it using a coffee grinder or spice mill.
2. Blend all ingredients listed under marinate with a little water in a blender to form a smooth paste.
3. Add the paste to chicken pieces, mix well and marinate over night. Store remaining spices if any, in a air tight container and freeze it up for next round.
4. Thread chicken onto bamboo skewer, preheat oven to around 400 F then turn it to broil.
5. Lightly oiled a grill pan, line the chicken skewer on the pan and grill 5-6 minutes each side or until charred. Spray or brush some cooking oil in between for better grilling result.
Note: Grill as you would to any skewer if a grill is being used to make these satay.
Serve the skewer with Peanut dipping sauce - http://spicehunt.blogspot.com/2014/09/kuah-kacang-satay-peanut-dipping-sauce.html