Steamed radish cake (lobak kuih) is something I never missed when I go for chinese dim sum.
It is also not very difficult to make it at home though, you can also turn it into fried lobak kuih, a good breakfast choice I dare say.
1 Radish 600-700 gm (shredded)
1/2 Chinese Sausage, soaked remove casing and chopped as fine as you can.
2 Dried mushroom soak and chopped into fine cubes
1 tbsp dried shrimp (washed, soaked and chopped)
2 strips of bacon,cut into small stripes
1/3 cup of Fried Shallot
2 cups Rice flour
1/4 cup Tapioca starch
1/5 teaspoon Chinese five spices
1/5 teaspoon Pepper powder
1 tsp of Salt or to taste
1. In a cooking pan, pour in one cup of water or chicken stock, boil shredded radish till it turn transparence.
2. Whisk together rice flour, tapioca flour, salt and 1 1/2 cups of water to form a batter.
3. In another frying pan, fry the bacon with a little oil until the fat releases, add chinese sausage mushroom and dried shrimp, stir until fragrant, add five spices and pepper powder.
3. Add cooked radish into the cooking pan together with fried shallot, turn well. Pour the batter in, keep stirring till the batter become sticky and started to leave the pan, around 2-3 minutes.
6. Brush or spray a thin layer of oil on a baking pan, place the dough in pan, using a wrapping film with the help of your palm slowly press the dough down till it is well spread and smooth on the top.
7. Steam the cake at high heat for 1 hour. Let it cool down completely before taking it out from the pan.
You can serve it fresh with chili sauce or hoisin sauce. Or shallow fry till it turn golden colour.
中文版 -- 广式萝卜糕