Being out of Malaysia means a good bowl of curry mee is hard to comeby, even back home though, it is getting harder to find good curry mee around. Too many hawker owners either taking shortcuts in preparing the broth or using inferior ingredients to prepare the dish.
I received multiple requests for the recipe for this dish over the years and made too many rainchecks that I am starting to feel guilty.
It took me sometimes to finally work on it for gathering ingredients itself takes quite a bit of time, the actual cooking process too is no brisk walk, it is tedious and lengthy.
But it was so well worth it when I finally got to sit down to enjoy a bowl of this delicious dish, craving fixed and recipe recorded. Sigh of relief!!
Ingredients A：to be blended into paste
12 around 100 gms of Shallots
8 cloves of garlic
20 dried chillies soaked and seeds removed
6 fresh red chillies or 2 red cow horn chillies
1 1.5 inches of galangal
1 1/2 tbsp Belacan (Shrimp paste)
3-4 tbsp dried shrimp （cleaned, soaked）
5-6 Candlenuts or substitute with Cashew Nuts
2 tbsp Meat Curry Powder
1000 ml （35 oz）of chicken stock or pork bone broth
500 ml （18 oz） coconut milk
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/3 cup Fried Shallots
1 stalk of lemongrass （use only the white part, bruised)
1 tsp Dried flounder powder/dried anchovies powder/Chicken stock cube
2 tsp salt or to taste
2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
300 gm Alkaline noodle/Oil Noodle cooked to 70% done
150 gm Rice vermicelli (Soaked for 10 minutes） cooked to 70% done
100 gm Bean sprout cleaned and blanched
100 gm Long bean cut into 1.5 inches in length and blanched
80 gm Blood cockle blanched and shelled
100 gm Fish cake sliced blanched
100 gm cuttle fish or shredded chicken
8-10 prawn/shrimp cooked, deveined and shelled
100 gm or 1 packet of puffed tofu halved
1. Blend together all ingredients listed under A with a little water. Pour the paste into a deep pot and cook with 1/2 cup of cooking oil until oil separated at the edge.
2. Add 2 tbsp of curry powder and lemongrass, turn and cook until fragrant. Add puffed tofu.
3. Add stock/broth and bring to rolling boil, turn the heat to medium low and cook for 25-30 minutes, season with salt, dried flounder powder/dried anchovies powder/Chicken stock cube, add coconut milk and cook for another few minutes.
4. Fry shallots/shallot oil while the curry soup is simmering on the stove. Add 1/3 cup of fried shallots into the curry soup, cook for another 10 munites, season with a little soy sauce if you wish.
5. Blanch and prepare all other ingredients. Place alkaline noodle and rice noodle in a big bowl with all other accompaniments. Bring curry soup to boil, ladle over noodles.
You can also use a little sambal tumis to go with the curry mee.