Fish head noodle is a very common noodle soup back home, I can still vividly remember the image of my ex-colleague Katherine having this as lunch almost everyday for 3 months!
Well..... It is definitely a very tasty dish, a well blend of milky soup base, sourish vegetables and crunchy fried fish head!
For Soup Base：
30gm of dried Anchovies/ 1/2 anchovy stock cube OR 5-6 pieces of shallow fried fish bones
2 tbsp of soy bean
100 gm of chicken bones
Bring all the above ingredients with 10 cups of water to boil and simmer for 4-5 to form soup base. You can shallow fry the anchovies to before boiling, that gives better flavor to the soup.
OR 4 cups of Chicken Stock.
For the noodle：
500-600 gms of fish bone pieces/fish head pieces ( You can use any type of fish, I use salmon fish)
1 bunch of thick Vermicelli
1 piece of Chinese pickled mustard (ham Choi)
1 small size tomato
2 tbsp evaporated milk OR half & Half OR whole milk
Chopped spring onion (For garnishing)
Thinly shredded Ginger (about 1 tsp)
1 tbsp cake flour/low gluten flour
Salt to taste
White pepper powder
1/2 tsp of Fish Sauce
Few drops of Sesame Oil
1. Place Anchovies/plaice powder in a pot with 4-5 cups of water, bring to boil to make stock, or use ready made chicken stock.
2. Cut fish head/bone into 3 inches pieces, sprinkle some salt and pepper powder, marinate for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, sprinkle cake flour and mix well. Heat up 2 inches of oil in a cooking utensil and deep fry the fish pieces. It may takes 2-3 batches to finish frying the fish.
3. Slice pickled mustard, cubed tomato, shred ginger.
4. Soak rice vermicelli in cold water, when it become soft, blanch it in boiling water for about 1-2 minutes before use.
5. For dipping/sauce, mince about 3 Thai chillies, mix with 1 tbsp of soy sauce and 1 tbsp of dark vinegar.
6. Pour in about 2-3 cups of stock in a small pot, bring to boil, add tomato pieces and pickled mustard and cook for about 45 seconds, now add vermicelli, bring to boil again, season with salt and fish sauce.
7. Add 2 tbsp of milk/half & half/evaporated milk before removing from stove.
8. Place the fried fish pieces on top of the noodle soup, garnish with spring onion and shredded ginger.
Sprinkle a little pepper powder and few drops of sesame oil before serving.
中文 -- 鱼头米粉