Butter chicken is probably one of the first Indian/Pakistani dishes that many people encounter when they tried to experience Indian cuisine. Most likely to be one of the not so exotic ones compared to it's much spicier peers.
I was often asked about this dish and its recipe, it is about time to write one! I just love that when someone asked for it, I can just send out a link!
4 pieces of Chicken thighs (Deboned, cubed to about 1x1 inch)
3 medium size very ripe tomatoes
1/2 stick of Butter
2 green chilies
2 inches of Cinnamon Sticks
2 bay leaves
1 tsp of Kasoori Methi (dried Fenugreek leaves)
1 tbsp Tandoori Masala
1/3 cup of plain yogurt
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of Ketchup
1/2 cup of Heavy cream
Salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp)
1. Clean and marinate the chicken pieces with all ingredients listed under for marination for about an hour. over night works better.
2. The second day, preheat oven to 450F (230C)，spread the chicken pieces over a oiled cooking pan. Bake for 5 minutes, turn the chicken pieces, and bake for another 5 minutes. Let it sit in the oven while you prepare the sauce.
3. As you place the chicken in the oven, start preparing the butter sauce. Blend together 3 medium size tomatoes.
4. In a cooking pan, melt the butter, add cinnamon stick, bay leaves and green chillies. Stir for a couple of minutes, then add the blended tomatoes.
5. Continue cooking until oil separated at the edge, add the kasuri methi, stir well, and cook for another few minutes.
6. Pour in heavy cream and all seasonings, stir well, take out the bay leaves and cinnamon stick before pouring the whole mixture into a blender or use a hand held blender to blend the sauce into a smooth butter sauce.
7. Pour the butter sauce over to chicken pieces, bake the dish at 380F (195 C) for about 12-15 minutes.