CKT a.k.a Chat Kuey Teow is notably the most famous street food in Malaysia/Penang. It is a dish that one must try visiting Malaysia and Penang. It is also a dish that almost all Malaysian overseas missed!
With a good cast iron wok, fresh ingredients and the "secret sauce", you can replicate this yummy dish at home under 5 minutes!
Just try to make 1-2 plates at a time, when it comes to making Char Kuey Teow, the more isn't always the merrier! Making smaller portion allows the flat noodle to be heated evenly and more "Wok Hei" (literally translated as "Breath of Wok" ) or the taste of charred could be added into the flavor of the dish!
200 gm Kuay Teow/Flat rice noodle （ cut into 1/2 inch in width）
1 cup Moong Bean Sprout
1/2 cup Chinese Chive/ Ku Chai
1 Chinese Sausage （remove casing, sliced）
2-3 tbsp Si Ham/Cockles
4-8 Slices of Fish Cake/Meat
7-8 Shrimp (Shelled)
1 tbsp Lard & Crispy pork lard
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1 tbsp Chili paste Optional
1 tbsp Light Soy sauce
1/2 tbsp Nam Pla/ Fish sauce
1 tbsp Sweet soy sauce （I used ABC Sweet Soy Sauce）
1 tsp Caramel/Dark soy sauce
1 tsp Oyster sauce
3 tbsp Water
1. If you do not have pork lard/crispy pork lard ready at home, cubed around 1-2 tbsp of pork fat, cook with 2 tbsp of water at medium low heat until fat rendered and the pork fat become crispy.
2. Mix together all ingredients listed under sauces. Use as you need and stored remaining in a glass jar.
3. Prepare all ingredients，try separating the Kuey Teow with hand as much as possible, this will make stir frying a lot easier.
4. Heat up the wok, add pork lard and crispy pork lard with 1 tsp of minced garlic, Stir for 30 seconds and add Chinese sausage, shrimp, fish cake and stir fry until shrimp changes color.
5. Add flat rice noodle and keep stirring to loosen the noodle, add 1 tbsp of the sauce mixture and cook for 1 minute, push the noodle at the side, crack the eggs in.
6. Add chili paste now if you like your CKT spicy, scrambled the eggs using a spatula, add another1-1 1/2 tbsp of sauce mixture (according to your taste), continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Add bean sprout and chinese chive and cockles, stir for 1 more minutes before turning off the stove.