With many of my fellow Malaysian friends showing their Ramadan feast on facebook the last couple of weeks, I started craving for nasi lemak to no end. Nasi lemak used to be my breakfast back home for years. I especially loved the small packets of Nasi Lemak wrapped in Banana leaves sold by street hawkers, it is simple, authentic and full of flavors.
My love for nasi lemak probably was responsible for my weight and cholesterol level then, but then, it was totally worth it!!
I had to make this nasi lemak for lunch this weekend, I could wait no longer. This steaming method really works great and my nasi lemak turned out just the way I liked it! The only thing I am missing here is a fresh banana leave!
P/s：Original recipe was written on 7/26/2014, updated with photographs.
For coconut Rice: (Serves 5-6)
1 1/2 cup Basmati Rice (Washed and soaked in water for 20 minutes)
1 cup of Jasmine Rice Washed and drain (Can substitute with Basmati Rice)
3 cup coconut milk (I used thawed frozen coconut milk)
1 cup of water
2-3 screwpine leaves ( Or la dua in Asian Supermarket)
1 stalk of lemongrass ( cut into 2-3 inches and lightly bruised)
2 inches of ginger root (lightly smashed)
2-3 cloves of garlic (smashed)
2 1/2 tsp of salt
For Sambal Ikan Bilis (Sambal anchovies):
Blend into paste:
2-3 cloves of garlic
3-4 fresh red chilies (or substitute with 5-6 dried chilies)
10-12 dried red chilies (reduce the number of chilies for less spicy)
1 inch of belachan (shrimp paste)
1 tbsp brown sugar
salt to taste
1/2 onion cut into rings
1/3 cup of fried anchovies
1 tbsp of tamarind paste (dissolved in 1/2 cup of water)
1/2 cup of oil
4-5 hard boiled egg (Halved)
1 cup of fried anchovies
1 cup of fried peanuts
1 cucumber (sliced)
椰浆饭: (Serves 5-6)
1 1/2 cup Basmati Rice (淘洗干净，然后泡水20分钟)
1 cup 泰国香米 Jasmine Rice （洗净沥干)
3 cup 椰浆 (我用了冷冻椰浆)
1 cup 水
2-3 香兰叶/screwpine leaves ( 越南语叫 la dua)
1 根香茅 ( 切 2-3 寸，稍微拍扁)
2 寸老姜 (洗净拍扁)
2-3 蒜瓣 (稍微拍拍)
2 1/2 tsp 盐
江鱼仔叁巴酱 (Sambal Ikan Bilis):
5-6 红葱 或 1/2 只 洋葱
3-4 新鲜的红辣椒 (或 5-6 只辣椒干代替)
10-12 辣椒干 (怕太辣可以减少辣椒的用量，并且去种子)
1 寸 的 虾酱/ belachan (shrimp paste)
1 tbsp 红糖
适量 tsp 食盐
1/3 cup 炸江鱼仔
1 tbsp 罗望子膏/tamarind paste (兑上半杯水)
1/2 cup 食油
4-5 白水蛋 (切半)
1 cup 炸江鱼仔
1 cup 油炸花生
1 根黄瓜 (切片)
1. Place cleaned basmati and jasmine rice in a steamable deep cooking utensil, tie screwpine leaves into knots, place it with lemongrass, ginger and garlic over rice.
2. Add salt into coconut milk, stir well. Measure out 1 cup of coconut milk plus 1 cup of water, pour it over rice, place the utensil in a steamer and steam rice at high heat for 10 minutes.
3. Lightly turn the rice with fork or spatula before measure out 1 cup of coconut milk and pour over on rice, use the handle of spatula to poke a couple of holes into rice to get even cooking, steam the rice at high heat for another 10 minutes.
4. Lightly turn the rice again. This time, switch off the stove and pour the remaining coconut milk over rice. Let the coconut milk sits in the rice for a good 15-20 minutes before steaming it for another 10-12 minutes at high heat. This is to sort of "marinate" the half cooked rice and gives better coconut-y flavor without forcing out grease in coconut milk.
This method produce very fluffy, fragrant and grease-less coconut rice. It stays as fragrant and yummy the next day!
2. 把盐加到椰浆里，拌匀。量出一杯的椰浆和一杯水，倒入米里。 把米饭入蒸笼加盖蒸10分钟。
4. 取出再轻轻的翻一翻，蒸笼先熄火。把剩下的椰浆倒入米饭里，这次不要马上蒸，等个15-20分钟再入蒸笼蒸10-12 分钟。这个步骤是让椰浆的香气可以更好的渗入米粒里。
5. In a cooking pot, heat up 2 tbsp of oil and fry the peanut until golden brown, take out, let cold and set aside. Do the same for anchovies. Measure out 1/3 cup of fried anchovies for use in the sambal later.
6. In a cooking pot, heat up 1/2 cup of oil and pour blended spices into pot, cook at medium heat until oil breaks at the edge. Add the sugar first, this will gives the sambal its signature dark red color, continue cooking for 3-5 minutes, season with salt and tamarind juice. Stir well, add onion and cook until onion softened, switch off the stove, add anchovies into the sambal before serving.
Assemble the coconut rice, sambal and accompaniments, off you go our super yummy lunch!
6. 在同一口锅里加入1/2 杯的食油，把搅拌好的辣椒糊倒入，中火煮至边上泛油，间中要多次搅拌以免糊底。 先加入红糖煮溶之后再煮几分钟，先加红糖能够让叁巴酱的色泽更漂亮。加盐和罗望子汁调味，拌匀继续煮几分钟，然后加入洋葱丝，煮至洋葱丝变软，熄火，然后加入1/3 杯的炸江鱼仔，拌匀。