I planted some Amaranthus last year during the summer, but the yield was low, I did not uproot the plants and let it die on its own. Little did I know that Amaranthus is so hardy that it survived the winter and came out on its own again this year, only stronger.
It gave me palm size leaves that look amazing, though I have not planted much this year, my Amaranthus did give me a chance to enjoy home grown vegetable! I harvest some to make this Pan Mee today, which I made the dough using spinach, I liked that the red Amaranth makes the soup a little pinkish in color, beautiful and full of nutrients!
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 tsp of salt
3/4 cup of ground spinach paste (made from a bunch of spinach with little water)
200 gm of Red or green amaranthus/Green Leaves vegetable
1 bowl of Gon Loh Minced meat
2-3 Thai Chili
1 cup of dried anchovies (head and innards removed, cleaned)
1/2 cup of Fried Shallot & Shallot oil
2 杯 中筋面粉
1/4 小勺 食盐
3/4 杯 菠菜泥 (一大把菠菜加点水磨成泥)
200 克 苋菜/绿色蔬菜
1 大碗的 肉臊
2-3 只 朝天椒
1 杯 江鱼仔 (去头，内脏，洗净)
1/2 杯 红葱酥&葱油
1. Knead together flour, spinach paste and salt to form a stiff dough, you can do it with hand, bread machine or stand mixer, it doesn't really matter. Just make sure you let the dough rest for about 15 minutes before peeling.
2. Meanwhile, fry anchovies until golden in color and crunchy.
3. Add half cube of Ikan bilis stock with 1.5 litre of water, bring to boil. (Alternatively, use 1.5 litre of any stock you have, chicken, or pork bone stocks. Or make simple broth by frying a handful of dried Anchovies until crispy, then add 2 litres of water and bring to boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes, discard the anchovies and use only the broth.)
4. When the broth is boiling, turn it to medium heat and start pulling and stretching the dough to form thin layer, peel the layer off into small pieces and into the broth to cook.
5. Stir the pieces in between using a spatula to prevent sticking to bottom. Continue working on the dough if you are working alone, if you have a partner in the kitchen like how we used to back home (mom and I will work in tandem to peel, add the minced meat and peel to speed up the process.) You don't want the pan mee to be overcooked, overcooked pan mee is soggy and loses its chewiness pretty fast. You do want to work fast or you could make it in small batches like 1 bowl at a time so that it always stays fresh when it is prepared.
6. When you are done working on the dough, crank the heat up to high and bring the broth to boil, season with some salt and add the green vegetables. The noodle is done when the vegetables are cooked.
2. 煮滚大半锅水加半颗的江鱼仔精块，煮滚。（或用1.5公升的鸡/猪骨高汤. 再不然，取小半杯的江鱼仔，炸酥，加1.5公升水煮20分钟，捞出江鱼仔，成高汤）。