As a Chinese I grow up eating Black eye bean as dessert or snacks.
I learnt about nutrient value and different ways of preparing this beautiful little legume's when I was in India.
I now prepared this Spicy Curry pretty often at home, it goes well with flat bread and jeera rice.
1/2 cup Black Eye bean （Soaked and washed）
1/2 Bombay Onion
2 Medium size Tomato
1 cinnamon stick, about 2 inches
2 Bay leaves
2 Green Chilies
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
Salt to taste
1. Pressure cook the soaked and washed black eye bean with 3 cups of water and some salt for about 8-10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
2. Blend together onion, tomato and chili.
3. In a cooking pan, heat up 1-2 tbsp of oil, add in bay leaves, cinnamon stick and Asafoetida, stir till fragrance.
4. Add the blended onion and tomato paste, cook until oil separated at the edge. Add all the powdered spices but keep Garam Masala.
5. Add cooked black eye beans with it broth, bring to boil and turn the heat to medium low and cook for another 20-25 minutes. Add the Garam Masala in between.
Serve hot with some chapatis or rice.
中文 -- 炖眉豆