I liked my noodle serves dry (Gon Loh) and egg noodles was never my first choice many a time (if I was given choices). My absolute favourite is Gon Loh Loh Su Fun (a type of noodle made with tapioca and rice flour with the shape looks like rat's tail, thus the name "Loh Su Fun" which mean "Rat's noodle" in Cantonese.
My second favourite is Lai Fun which is also made from rice and tapioca flour, only that it is longer in shape and most likely to have higher ratio of tapioca flour than Lou Su Fun does.
With the sauce and minced meat in place, it is really just matter of minutes to whip up a bowl of hearty noodle!
1/2 Packet of Fresh Lai Fun (Bánh canh)
2 tbsp Echo's Special Gon Loh Sauce Or a little bit of oyster sauce, a little bit of light soy sauce, a little dark/sweet soy sauce.
a pinch of white pepper powder
2-3 tbsp chopped spring onion
For minced meat：
400 gm of 50% fat minced meat (I used pork in this recipe)
2 tbsp Fried Shallots
1 tbsp Fried Garlic
2 tbsp Chinese Cooking wine/Shao Xing Jiu
1 tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce
1 1/2 tbsp Nam Pla/Fish Sauce
1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tsp Oyster Sauce
1. To make mincemeat, combined minced meat, 1/3 cup of water and Chinese cooking wine in a cooking pot, cook without lid on and keep stirring with a spatula to break the minced meat down further.
2. Add fried shallots and fried garlic with little of its oil, continue cooking until grease starts to release. The fat releases from the minced pork very crucial in this dish, using the fat together with minced meat work the same way crispy pork lard would in any noodle dishes, it gives the dish great aroma and its distinct flavor
3. Season with fish sauce, soy sauce, sweet soy sauce and oyster sauce. Continue cooking until the minced meat become friable.
Note：This minced meat can be stored in a airtight container in refrigerator for up to a month, it can be used in many dishes as accompaniment.
3. Place 2 tbsp of the Gon Loh Sauce in a bowl with a little bit of white pepper powder.
4. Bring a pot of water to boil and blanch/cook the Lai Fun until semi-translucent. Place the noodle into the bowl and mixed well with the sauce. Top with 2 tbsp of minced meat with its oil and sprinkle chopped spring onion generously. Mix well and enjoy !