Many of the Malaysian or Singaporean restaurant served steamed/Poached Chicken with Hainanese Chicken rice. In actual fact, there are two types of Chicken available in most Chicken rice stores, BBQ Chicken and Poached Chicken. The BBQ chicken is actually chicken that is marinated with Chinese five spice and salt and deep fried in oil to give it a crispy skin and very juicy meat.
Since it is hard to deep fry whole chicken at home, I made my roasted chicken the way it suggested, roasting in the oven. It turned out to be very palatable and very close to what I have missed!
For Roasted Chicken：
1 Cornish Hen (Around 2 lbs in weigh)
1-2 stalks of spring onion
1-2 star anise
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
1/2 tsp Chicken stock powder/Ajinomoto (I used homemade fish powder）
Chicken Rice/Oil Rice：
4-5 tbsp Chicken oil or 1 lb of Chicken skin to render chicken oil
1 1/2 Cups of Thai Jasmine rice
8-10 Shallots （around 50 gm）
5-6 cloves of garlic
4-5 leaves of Screwpine/Pandan Leaves
1 piece of ginger roots/half palm size, cleaned and smashed
1 1/2 tsp salt (Or to taste)
Some coriander leaves Optional
Hainanese Chicken Rice Chili Sauce
1. Cleaned and pat dry cornish hen using kitchen towel. Mix salt, Chinese five spices, chicken stock powder/Ajinomoto. Rubbed the mixture inside and out of the hen, marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours in the fridge.
2. Stuffed star anise and spring onion into the stomach of the hen. Place it over a baking tray, spray/brush a thin layer of oil over the chicken. Preheat oven to 400F（200C).
3. Place the chicken in oven with convection fan on, bake for 20 minutes (If your oven does not have convection function, add 10 minutes more to the baking time. Turn the chicken once in between.
4. Switch oven to broil and broil the chicken for 8-10 minutes or until it becomes golden brown in color. Take it out and remove spring onion and star anise from stomach.
5. Make the chicken oil rice while chicken is baking in the oven. Washed and drained the rice, minced shallots and garlic.
6. Render chicken oil from skin and discard the skin OR if you have ready made Homemade schmaltz (Poultry Fat) , heat up a few tbsp of it in a pot.
7. Stir fry minced shallot and garlic until fragrant, add the washed rice and cook for few minutes. Place the rice, screwpine/pandan leaves, ginger and salt in a rice cooker with 2 1/2 cups of water, cook the rice according to your rice cooker manufacturer instructions. Remove screwpine/pandan leaves and ginger once the rice is done.