I made Ribs Congee not long ago and posted the picture on my FB page, it was my maternal grandma's recipe, my cousin Yin saw that and asked if I remember the Chili/Sambal Mackerel that grandma used to make.
It brought back so many memories when she mentioned this dish, I was very young and was still learning to eat spicy food, a little of this sambal paste with fish will have to be eaten with lots of white rice for me. I will fold a little of the sambal paste in the rice with some crushed mackerel and enjoyed it like I would with fried rice.
2-3 Indian Mackerel （gutted and cleaned）
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp salt
Cooking oil for frying
1 bombay onion sliced into rings
For Chili paste：
3-4 cloves of garlic
12-15/35 gm of dried red chilies (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes)
1 tsp belachan/Shrimp paste
1/2 tsp Tamarind Paste or 1 tbsp Lemon/lime Juice
1 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp of Homemade Sambal Tumis
2-3 条 甘榜鱼
1/4 小勺 黄姜粉
1/4 小勺 食盐
10 只 小红葱
3-4 瓣 蒜瓣
12-15只/35 克左右的 辣椒干 （热水泡十分钟）
1 小勺 虾酱 （belachan）
1/2 小勺 罗望子汁（Tamarind Paste）或 1 大勺 柠檬汁
1 小勺或适量 盐
1/2 小勺 糖
3 大勺的 多用途叁巴酱
1. Clean and pat dry the Mackerel, marinate with turmeric powder and salt for 10 minutes.
2. Blend together shallot, dried chillies and shrimp paste to form a thick paste. Heat 3 tbsp of cooking oil in a pan, add the chili paste and cook until oil separated at the side. Add some water with tamarind paste/lemon or lime juice. Season with sugar and salt, cook again until oil breaks, stir in onion rings, cook until onions become soft.
Heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a pan, add 3 tbsp of Homemade sambal tumis，cook until oil breaks, stir in onion rings, cook until onions become soft. Adjust taste with salt, sugar or tamarind paste if needed.
3. Deep fry mackerel until crisp, place it on a plate and spread the sambal paste over the fish. Serve with white rice.
2. 把红葱剥皮，辣椒干用热水泡软，虾酱切碎。把这三个材料用搅拌机加半杯水搅拌成糊状。把搅拌好的辣椒糊倒入锅里加3 大勺油炒香，兑水的罗望子汁，糖和盐煮滚，煮干至锅边泛油，加入洋葱丝煸软。
3. 把鱼入锅煎香。盛到盘子里。 把辣椒糊铺在上头即可。