Chinese Red oil or fragrance chilli oil is an essential ingredients for many Chinese dishes, it also serves well as condiment and sauce as Chinese Style of Salad/Cold dishes/Starter.
It is pretty simple to make it at home, just to make sure you use good quality of Chili powder/flakes and spices.
1/3 cup Chilli powder（I used mixture of Canyenne and homemade Indian Chili Powder)
1 cup cooking oil
1 Spring onion (Use only the lower part/white colour part)
3-4 slices of ginger
1 tsp of sichuan pepper
1 Star Anise Optional
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 tsp of white sesame seed Optional
1. Place 1/3 of the Chili Powder into a stainless steel or ceramic bowl.
2. Place a sauce pan on stove, place oil and all the spices in and heat up at medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, when the spring onion started turning golden brown. The oil is ready.
3. Pour out 1/3 of the hot oil over the 1st part of chilli powder, make sure you use only the oil, thus you may want to use a sieve while pouring, place the spices back to sauce pan, and heat it up for another 1 minutes on stove.
4. Stir the Chili powder and oil before adding 2nd part of the Chili powder into it. Pour another 1/3 of hot oil into the bowl and stir well again.
5. Repeat the same step with remaining chilli powder and oil. Add 2 tsp of sesame seeds now, if you liked.
Let cold, and you have got yourself a simple red oil, stored in airtight container, it should stay for around 10 days, use it for any dishes that called for Chili oil.
中文 -- 简易红油