This steamed egg with minced meat was my maternal grand mother's recipe. I loved mixing it with steam white rice before eating.
My son A also loves to eat rice with this steamed egg, he could finished one whole bowl of rice whenever I make this!
50-80 gm of minced meat/turkey
2 shallots or 1 tbsp of shop bought fried shallot
1 tbsp of Light soy sauce
1/4 tsp of dark soy sauce
1 1/4 cups/300 ml of water
1. Cracked two medium eggs and whisk lightly with 1/2 cup or approximately 120 ml of water, try to minimize bubble while whisking, this is the secret to a smooth silky steamed egg. Leave it aside till all bubbles vanish. you can also use a toothpick to poke on the bubbles to reduced it.
2. Slice the shallots into thin slices, fry it with little oil till it turn golden brown in color. Add minced turkey fry till it is cooked, if shop bought fried shallot being used, fry the minced meat till cooked, and add fried shallot for a quick stir just to bring out the fragrance.
3. Turn down the heat, and pour in the remaining 1/2 cup of cold water to cool down the minced meat,season with soy sauce and dark soy sauce.
4. Add minced meat and gravy gently into the egg water mixture. Make sure you do it gently to avoid foam from forming.
5. Bring 2 cups water in a steamer to boil, reduce heat to medium low. Cover the bowl with a plate to prevent water dripping onto the steamed egg. Steam the egg for 10-12 minutes. Turn off the stove and let the steamed egg sit for 5 minutes before serving.
I love the minced meat at the bottom, it gives the meaty flavour and texture that compliments the steamed egg so well.
中文 -- 外婆的蒸鸡蛋--肉末鸡蛋羹